Copyright © 2002-2012 Rick Mohr
Follow these instructions to install Vocola 3 on Windows 7 or Windows Vista, 32-bit or 64-bit. Vocola 3 does not work with
earlier versions of Windows.
Vocola 3.1.1 is the latest version. See what's new for details.
- Download and run the installer.
- Accept the default installation folder, or choose another location within C:\Program
Files (on 32-bit machines) or C:\Program Files (x86) (on 64-bit machines). Otherwise you
won't be able to use HearCommand or
control elevated applications.
- Associate the .vcl file extension (used for Vocola command files) with your
favorite text editor.
This allows you to open Vocola command files using built-in voice commands.
- Start WSR, and say "Start Vocola" to launch Vocola.
- Say "Open Global Commands". A dialog box should appear saying "Windows cannot open this file".
- Choose "Select a program from a list of installed programs", hit OK, and pick your favorite text editor
(e.g. Wordpad, MS Word, Visual Studio, etc.). (Emacs users, see below.)
- Test Vocola.
- Start WSR, and say "Start Vocola" to launch Vocola. Look for the Vocola icon in the system tray.
- Say "Start Notepad" to launch Notepad.
- Say "Open Commands". The command file notepad.vcl
should be opened using the editor you picked in step 2.
- Dictate the command ‘test command = success;’ by saying "test
command equals sign success semicolon".
- Save the file.
- Say "Switch to Notepad".
- Say "test command". The word "success" should appear.
Using Emacs to open command files
Emacs 22 and later:
- Make sure the Emacs bin folder
containing emacsclientw.exe is included in your PATH environment variable.
- Open or create the global command file _global.vcl in the Vocola command folder (by default
- Add this line:
onLoad() := CommandFile.SetCommandLineForOpen(emacsclientw.exe, -n);
- If you get alert windows when opening command files you can
use type to fix your copy of emacsclientw.exe.
Emacs 21 and earlier:
- Install gnuserv.
- Make sure the directory containing gnuclientw.exe is included in your PATH
- Associate the .vcl file extension with gnuclientw.exe.